Tuesday, November 23, 2010

 Interesting week thus far in St. Blogs-

While being corrected and rebuffed (or “re-Ruffed©,” which I will copyright!) for the umpteenth time at PrayTell, the good (I mean that) monk referred me to a rejoinder earlier in the combox in which he ‘splained his admonition towards those who can’t keep their respective liturgical and gospel values in proportion:

“And for those traditionalists who are too easily offended: there’s really no reason, from a Christian standpoint, for putting down where someone was in the past, or where the Church was in the past.”

It actually occurred to me that, after admonishing me to “calm down,” he was referring me to that post and quote as if it was SOP, Standard Operating Procedure, to typify my objectionable (to him) commentary as justification for plopping “Charles Culbreth” right down into the bin labeled “traditionalists.”

And on the heels of that realization naturally rose within me the obvious, “He don’t know me vewy well, do he?” Ergo,

Ego:

*A Christian believer who tries to yield always to God’s will, rather than my own…
*An artist who believes that God endowed to me particular talents…
*A leader of other talented Christians who desire to thank God
  with use of those same talents given them.
*That leader who, over many years, tries to be both
*An example and witness to Christ’s two ultimate commandments and
*An intentional, obedient disciple to Him and the Church He founded
*A failure on numerous, incalculable occasions to manifest that discipleship
*A soul who rejoices in God, My Savior and
*An instrument, like our Virgin Mother Mary, which magnifies Him
*A sinner who is called to repent of misdeeds and ill thoughts
*A joyful spirit, who accepts forgiveness,
  offers reconciliation with confidence in God
*A seeker in mind, heart and soul; who recognizes strangers first as friends
*A singer of songs, a composer of melodies, an instrumentalist in God’s service
*A fellow traveler towards salvation, a host to those in need,
  a listener more than orator
*Not alone, but am of free will to enjoin with other souls in communion with His will.
*And not a category, a diminution, a reduction, a type, a belligerent, an adversary.
*And certainly not whatever another, for good or ill, 
  would make me, save Christ my Lord.
Soli Deo Gloria, Amen.

I suppose I could have employed dynamic equivilency for all of that:
"Don't Fence Me In!"

O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.

From the desire of being esteemed,
Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being loved...
From the desire of being extolled ...
From the desire of being honored ...
From the desire of being praised ...
From the desire of being preferred to others...
From the desire of being consulted ...
From the desire of being approved ...
From the fear of being humiliated ...
From the fear of being despised...
From the fear of suffering rebukes ...
From the fear of being calumniated ...
From the fear of being forgotten ...
From the fear of being ridiculed ...
From the fear of being wronged ...
From the fear of being suspected ...
That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be esteemed more than I ...
That, in the opinion of the world,
others may increase and I may decrease ...
That others may be chosen and I set aside ...
That others may be praised and I unnoticed ...
That others may be preferred to me in everything...
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should.

No comments: